Thursday, August 8, 2013

I have a confession: I had three beers tonight!  And a turkey sandwich, with spinach and Italian dressing, and a spinach salad with Italian dressing and some almonds and blue cheese. And some sautéed tofu, with the ratatouille. Mmm.

That’s the end of the turkey.  I had slipped back into eating some turkey and chicken.  I want to stop it.  Hard to give up chicken wings.  That’s all.  Everything else, out.  99% vegetarian. 

Played guitar most of the evening.  Had watched a video on youtube today about some blues licks, so tried them out, and saw how they connect up with some other things I know.  Very cool.  I have a new “way” of playing blues, more like a T-Bone Walker style.  And I played in Open G tuning for the first time in a long time.  Not a tuning I’ve explored much, but very fun.  New tunings always suggest new patterns, and this one did for sure.  Played some slide with it too.  Will have some new songs in it soon. 

Listening to Tommy McLennan, my new love.  Great 20s, 30s blues player.  I put him in the Jackson, MS, Tommy Johnson school, but need to check on it.  Haven’t listened to him much before.  He’s a monster.  His version of Bottle Up and Go is definitive.  Will post a youtube vid here soon.  Every song, he’s having so much fun.  Palpable.  “Ain’t it hard to be lonesome, when you’re sleepin all by yourself.  Lord, the one that you’re loving is sleeping with someone else.”  I could normally just look it up in my blues books, but they’re all in storage.  Damn. 




Listened to a radio interview with Susan Jacoby, about her new book on Robert Ingersol, the Great Agnostic.  Even he said he wasn’t an agnostic, but an atheist “practically.” This strikes me as a bad usage—to distinguish atheists and agnostics by how certain they are.  Let’s get in the 20th century --we don’t even need the 21st for this one—we aren’t CERTAIN about anything.  Nothing, not mathematics, certainly not science (haha, I caught that), not ordinary stuff.  So, I’m not certain about there being no god either.  I’m also not certain there’s not a Zeus, but I’ll bet on it.  Heavily. This deserves a whole post, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment