Wednesday, August 7, 2013

First post!

8/6/2013
Catawba Fitness/Music/Food/Philosophy/Living Blog

I just got back from a run on the Appalachian Trail.  I’ll fill in the background later, but I’m living right beside the trailhead/parking lot for the Trail, the one at the top of the mountain in Catawba that goes up to McAfee’s Knob, and up (the other direction) to Dragon’s Tooth.  I live right at the top of the mountain (sign here says “Elevation 2,000 Ft”—ok, it ‘s not the Rockies, but it IS beautiful).  In Catawba, right off Catawba Valley Road, on Old Catawba Road, which is a tiny little road that goes straight downhill in a series of switchbacks.  I’ve been varying from running the road, down a ways and then back up, and running on the Trail.  I’ve been increasing my running times, and speeds.  Nothing fancy, I just use my watch to time myself. 
This is looking down Old Catawba Rd to the first switchback.  



Today I ran for 57 minutes, with about 5 min in between, to get water.  I was walking that 5 minutes.  I walked up to the parking lot, just a few yards up 311, then took off running towards Dragon’s Tooth.  The first 2:30 is uphill, very nasty, then it levels off for a minute or so, and then about another minute up to the first overlook.  Has been taking me 5 minutes for this part, but did it in 4:45 today. Not a great difference, but every little bit counts.  Then there is a craggy part, and then up and down for the next 5 or 6 minutes, then STRAIGHT UP for a looooonnnnngggg time.  Today I ran exactly 15 minutes, to the second lookout area, then turned around and came back, finishing in 31 minutes.  That’s when I walked back to the house for a drink of water—I left a water bottle on my car hood.  Walked back to the parking lot, crossed the road to head towards McAfee’s Knob.  The first 3 minutes of that run is a steady, non-pleasant uphill, and at a couple of the switchbacks, there are steps that are like rock ledges, and it is more like doing lunges than running.  Tough. Today was the first day I did this whole 3 minutes without walking any of it.  This part has a long series of steps—I meant to count them, but couldn’t.  These are so hard.  But I did it. I was winded, and stopped a minute.  Then took off running for 10 more minutes.  My iPod ran out of charge; I would have gone farther, but turned around.  It was about 14 minutes back—lots of uphill—making it 57 minutes running, total.  Saw some squirrels and little lizard/skink like things.  Very few people. 

Yesterday I went to Betsy’s to make ratatouille, more on that later.  I weighed in this morning—220 lbs!  I was up about a month or so ago to 238, 239, something like that.  That is too heavy for me.  So since I’ve been here in Catawba, I’ve been concentrating on losing weight and getting healthy.  I weighed at Betsy’s about 2 weeks ago, and was 226.  Last week, I was 223.5.  So this is definitely big.  3 ½ lbs in a week.  Last night at Betsy’s, I did the “scientific 7 minute workout,” (url here) which I highly recommend.  That’s the 4th or 5th time I’ve done it, first time on Saturday of Floydfest a couple of weeks ago. 

Right outside the front door; it's trash day so you can see my garbage can. This looks out across 311 and up towards McAfee's Knob (3.9 miles)...

...as you can see!

Fitness background:  I started out a few weeks ago running down Old Catawba Road, about 9 minutes down, 11 minutes back.  That was tough.  Now I still do essentially that same amount, about 20 minutes, but I go a lot further down, and hence, back up.  But now I finish with a series of what I will loosely call sprints, all UPHILL, but is really best described as a healthy, uncomfortable run.   I walk down to the second switchback, and it takes me 3 minutes to get back to the top (running).  I’m working on taking time off of that.  Then I do a couple of 2 minute runs to the top, at a fast pace, then a couple of 1 minute runs, and then I’m winded. 

Right at the beginning of the trail, heading up to Dragon's Tooth.

Besides the running and 7 minute workout, I’ve been working my abs pretty hard.  Most days I work them.  One workout is 800 crunches, a couple of hundred “bicycles,” some crunches with a 15 lb weight, including 50 (on each side) crunching in, turning one’s shoulder towards one’s opposite knee.  Some days I do abs on the exercise ball I found in the house here. I also do a minute long plank, on my elbows, then another 30 on each side.  Oh, right, I take the 15 lb weight and, feet off the ground, twist side to side, 20 times, then repeat a time or two.

Over the last few weeks, Betsy took me as a guest to the YMCA, and I had a great upper body strength workout.  Then, about 2 weeks ago, she took me to the House of Strength, a great gym run by Ryan ___ in Roanoke.  I got a great upper body workout—Ryan is great.  If I had more money (more on that later), I’d join there.  Last week I went to help Ryan time his “gym rats,” who were timed to get to the next fitness level.  After that, I got in a GREAT bicep and lat workout.  Nice.

I can’t afford to join a gym now, as I don’t right now have a job.  But I found a 15 lb weight here in the house, and I’ve found I can do a lot with it.  How you say?  That’s way too light for me!  I have found if I sit on the ground, legs straight in front of me, taking away any input from my legs, I can do curls (I have to do about 40 on each side, but at the end of that, my biceps are hurting!), and I can do my triceps, my shoulders (both presses and side and front raises), etc.  I can keep my chest at least maintained by pushups, including incline pushups from the ball.  Still, I want more regular weight workouts.  My legs are handled by the running and some lunges, etc.  I am a bit worried about keeping up my biceps and lats. 

My little workout area on back porch.

The goal here is perfection.  Betsy has an app that lets you take and post photos of your progress, and next time I go there, we’re going to take some pictures and post them.  I’m feeling my body getting fitter, and less flab around the middle.  I’m feeling my heart getting stronger, too.  I am beginning to see some real cuts in my abs.  I am at 220, as I said, and want to get to 215, at which time I’ll assess my body and see where I want to go.  Down to 200?  I’ve been down to 208 or so a few years ago.  Will I see 200 again?  Should I? I’m pretty lucky to have a decent piece of clay to work with, fairly broad natural shoulders, nice proportions, etc.  If I can maintain my musculature and still lose weight and get fit, I would be very happy.  Want to get my body fat percentage tested. 

Food and Drink. Background, I LOVE food, I’m a real foodie. If I didn’t work out, I could easily be 300 lbs but I’m never going to do that.  But right now I’m concentrating on eating (and drinking) to lose weight.  I don’ t DIET per se, but I do watch what goes into my body.  First, NO FAST FOOD.  None.  NO COKES OR SOFT DRINKS.  When I stop to get an internet connection at MacDonalds, I get a small drink for a buck.  I DO let myself have A coke, what a treat for me.  I could get their unsweetened tea, but this is an occasional and special treat, to have the cola.  We do what we can.  I’ve cut out chocolate and sweets for a while.  Over the last few weeks, I’ve had a couple of pieces, at Betsy’s. That’s it.  The only added sugar I get is a tiny bit in coffee in the morning, which also has a tbs or so of half and half.  Like I say, we do what we can.  As for beverages, besides a couple of cups of coffee in the mornings, I drink only water, water with a few drops of lemon juice, and unsweetened tea (often Red Zinger, yum).  I don’t keep beer here at the house, but do have a couple when I go out, very occasionally, with Matt and friends. 
Betsy’s been making ratatouille, and it’s great.  Last night, I went over and we made a double batch, one for her (she’s starting back to teaching, so it’ll be nice to have lunches to take) and one for me.  We grilled lots of zukes, yellow squash, eggplant, carrots, portobellas, yellow, orange and green bell peppers, and sweet potatoes. Oh, and yellow beets.  She sautéed garlic and onions, and added the cut up grilled veggies, lots of canned tomatoes, some vegetable stock I had made the night before, and voila!  Salt, pepper, not too much more. Some cayenne.  Now I have a ton in my fridge.  I guess there is a tiny bit of oil in this, but it is so healthy. I can freeze some and live on this stuff.  I got a couple of blocks of Twin Oaks tofu at the Roanoke Food Co-op, which I sauté and have with the rat.  Damn fine eatin’.  Put it over some rice, wow.  (There is a young deer frolicking in my yard right now as I write this. Wow.  Yard.  It’s more like a wilderness area.  No grass.) 

Otherwise, I have some veggie burgers on whole wheat bread, with a little good mayo and a big handful of spinach.  Some burritos, whole wheat tortillas with a little cheese, a big handful of spinach, some rice and black beans, and salsa.  I can’t give up bread and bread products.  I like to have bagel and cream cheese with my coffee for breakfast.  I’ve started having HALF, not a whole, with a thin layer of cream cheese.  I just had one this afternoon, half. A real treat. 

Today I had some ratatouille with a poached egg for breakfast. Really good.  Then had some rat for lunch, with a couple of grilled sweet potato slices.  And just now, the half bagel and cream cheese.  Not too bad. 
One of the ways I suspect that I lose weight is that I have learned to live with a low level of hunger.  When I ordinarily would eat, I just put it off a bit.  You learn to make that part of your comfort zone.  I just don’t eat a lot these days.  

Music.  I’m passionate about music.  Listening for the most part, but I do play guitar and bit of mandolin and my new love, ukulele.  I’ve played guitar for many years, but I’m getting very serious about it now.  I’ve been out on the back porch, where I can’t see anyone for miles.  No neighbors close by.  I played Sunday afternoon out there for hours.  I am breaking in my fingers, the pads. It’s tough.  But worth it.  Playing a lot, I’m getting pretty good.  I have 20-30 songs I know (still memorizing lyrics), and want to start playing out.  I want to put an ad on Craigslist looking for a harmonica player.  I’d like to do some songs with my friend Sharon, and have Matt do percussion (with MY washboard, I might add).  Lots of blues, but lots of other stuff.  Some originals, mostly covers.  I wrote a song I like the other day.  Met some people here in Catawba I want to get together with to play, especially Hettie, a blues singer.  I’ve worked up Love Me Like a Man that she wants to do. 

When I run, with my iPod, I get ideas for new songs to work up.  Today, the shuffle function played “Yummy yummy yummy I get love in my tummy, and I feel like loving you.”  Great.  I can do this one on acoustic guitar.  What great old song—I think people will love to hear it, and be surprised.  Also, Dylan’s Ballad of Hollis Brown.  Two days ago, I heard Ryan Adams and Gillian Welch do Return of the Grievous Angel—wow.  Great one to have harmony vocal on.  Sharon???

I do one song on mandolin, the Stones’ Honky Tonk Women. Gotta get a new string and do some more mandolin songs.  Originals?  Ihave one kinda nice thing.  I want to work on my blues mandy playing, and sit in with the band on Monday nights at the blues jam at the Cellar. 

I have a couple of uke originals, including a great blues.  Uke blues.  I love it. 

I’ll post my song list sometime soon.

Philosophy.  I’m happiest when there is something I’m working on, some idea.  I’m getting a lot out of my new FB group, The Way Station, where I was introduced by the great Don Griffin.  He was a Pentecostal pastor, who is now an atheist.  We’ve been having some great exchanges.  It’s really helped me focus some of my ideas on atheism, religion, science, etc.  Would like to collaborate on a book with him. 

Been reading Susan Haack’s Science Within Reason.  Need to get serious about it. She makes a distinction, I think I recall, between science and rationality in the right way.  To me, science is a subset of rational methodology, just a ‘muscle’ that has been particularly well exercised.  So the question is not, Can SCIENCE explain X (God, soul, etc.) but can RATIONALITY explain it.  Different question.  Of course this is subject to contextual, definitional variation.  That’s why I want to see what Haack says about it. 
Signed up for a Mathematical Philosophy class from Coursera.  Need to watch a couple of lectures. 
Talked with new friend Felta the other day about my critical thinking plans.  Should do this.  Damn.  I gotta have guts.

That’s fitness, food, and music.  Now life.  What to say?  I need a job.  Otherwise, I’m pretty happy.  I’d like to be in a relationship, but can’t rush that.  My heart’s still a bit raw.  Will make the best of this alone time.  I have great friends, all too many of them far away, but several close by. 

This is beautiful out here.  I like it.  Never lived this “rustically.”  Don’t need too much more.  I have stuff stored in Tampa, some of which I’d like to have here.  Some to store in Tennessee.  

What I’d like to have: An internet connection here at the house.  For applying for jobs, and some entertainment.  50 to 70 $/mo.  A place to workout.  Would like to find someone who has some free weights or such in their house.  Could trade for cooking, something.  A new pillow or two.  $20.  A new mandolin string.  I thought I had a set here, oh well.  A couple of bucks.  Is there some place in Salem? 

Summary:
Ratatouille and poached egg, coffee 2 c and cream, little sugar. 
Ratatouille, sweet potato.
Bagel and cream cheese.
Ratatouille with rice, and sautéed tofu twicebefore bed (appr. 7:30 and 9)

Run, 57 min on trails. Later in the evening, 800 crunches, 200 bicycles

8/5/13
Bagel and egg, cheese slice, 2c coffee, cream, little sugar.
Veggie burger, slice cheese,ww bun, mayo, spinach. 
Mac and cheese w/veggies, tuna.
Grilled veggies, misc., bowl of ratatouille, rice (1/2 cup)
7 min workout

8/4/13
Coffee, cream, little sugar.  WW

tortilla, egg, cheese, spinach. 
??

Ran hills 40 min.  Heavy abs, pushups, plank, bicep curls, triceps, shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment