Wednesday, November 20, 2013

No. 5, from Geoffrey.  Great idea for a basic vegetable soup, including making the stock.  I love this idea.  Been a while since I've done it, but I look forward to doing it again!

Gee, I'd just go for a simple vegetable soup. First I'd make a soup stock. Brad, that's easy. Get good tasting water, some salt, pepper, your favorite herbs (you can use some of mine) plenty of veggies you like but not tubers, chop 'em up, boil 'em down for around 4 or 5 hours in a 5 qt pot or so, occasionally adding water to keep it from going dry. Then let it get to about half height or a little more. Filter it through a colander or cheese cloth an squeeze out some more juice. That's your stock. (If you want sweet, put in a beet or two also but carrots, onions and garlic add sweetness).

Adding any veggies to it, including potatoes, in part or whole, for the soup, with about equal parts water, cooking it day of for an hour or two and you should have a nice vegetable soup. Add noodles if you want 10 or so minutes before it's done. 

Your stock can be kept in the freezer in gallon bags and you can take it out one at a time to have stock for many months to make soup.

Of course, I do this with chicken but you'd not want to do that.

No, I don't.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment